The Great Urban Race is a wild urban adventure / scavenger hunt where teams of 2-4 people solve twelve clues and complete exciting mental and physical challenges while discovering the city in a fresh way!
In 2012 the number of teams is expected to be between 150 to 700 teams depending on the city and the top 25 teams in each race qualify to participate a GUR National Championship.
Duration / Distance
Every city course is unique but are usually designed so that winners can finish in 1.5-3 hours, the majority in 3-4 hours, and the race course is shut down after 5 hours. The distance of the race depends on the route you take but average six miles.
- Each team is given an envelope containing twelve clues of varied difficulty at the start of the race.
- The clue list contains a mixture of both mental and physical clues.
- During the race teams will have the option to skip one clue.
- Some races contain one or more Detours, which is a choice between two checkpoints. Choose the one you think will be easier or faster (or more fun)!
- There mandatory clues and failure to complete a mandatory clue will result in disqualification.
- Physical Challenges – Feed your teammate some tasty food, do something daring, or compete in a game. Mazes, Segways, Tae Kwon Do lessons, bicycle races, holding huge fish, canoeing
- Puzzles – Think anagrams, word searches, cryptograms and crosswords
- Brain Teasers – Riddles or tests to tease your brain
- Challenges – Interaction with the general public
- Scavenger Hunt List – An item found along the GUR race course that is not part of an exact clue location, but can be picked up at multiple locations around the city. (i.e. “Return to the finish line with a takeout menu that has egg rolls listed as an item” or “Return to the finish line with a post card with a boat on it”)
- National Championship Qualifier medals (Top 25 teams)
- 1st Place: $300 and free Championship entry
- 2nd Place: $200 and free Championship entry
- 3rd Place: $100 and free Championship entry
- Best Costume: Trophy and bragging rights!
- Chance at $10,000 in the National Championship
- Possible sponsor goodies, depending on your city
St. Jude Heroes
Over the years through the efforts of more than 2,000 participants Great Urban Race has raised over $300,000 to help provide hope to the families of patients at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Race Date List
02.25.2012 – Scottsdale
03.03.2012 – Houston
03.24.2012 – Tampa
03.31.2012 – Santa Monica
04.14.2012 – Atlanta
04.28.2012 – Austin
05.05.2012 – Boston
05.12.2012 – Washington D.C.
06.16.2012 – Madison
06.23.2012 – Portland
07.21.2012 – Chicago
08.04.2012 – New York City
08.11.2012 – Seattle
08.18.2012 – San Francisco
08.25.2012 – Denver
09.15.2012 – Philadelphia
09.22.2012 – Minneapolis
09.29.2012 – Charlotte
10.13.2012 – Dallas
10.20.2012 – San Diego
11.10.2012 – Las Vegas Championship